Standing Construct GASGAS Factory Racing’s Glenn Coldenhoff has placed fourth overall at the MXGP of Spain, delivering strong 5-4 results at round 12 of the FIM Motocross World Championship. MXGP teammate Ivo Monticelli also enjoyed a pair of positive and consistent results to finish just outside the top 10 in 12th overall. DIGA Procross Factory Juniors’ Isak Gifting placed 10th overall in the MX2 class to continue his strong run of results with teammate Michael Sandner claiming 21st.
Glenn Coldenhoff’s opening MXGP moto started strongly with the Dutchman placed third through the first turn. As the chasing pack barreled into the tight, third corner, many riders around Glenn tangled and left him with no option other than to stop to avoid crashing. Nearly dropping outside the top 10, the MC 450F rider found a number of smooth lines around the choppy intu Xanadu – Arroyomolinos circuit, fighting his way forwards and through to fifth at the finish.
Diving to the inside of turn one in the second race proved to be a positive move for Coldenhoff as it then set him up to arrive at the treacherous third turn on the outside. Avoiding all of the chaos that repeated itself from moto one, he emerged unscathed and in fifth position. With little on the track to separate the leading MXGP riders, Glenn progressed one spot to claim fourth in the moto, going on to place fourth in the overall classification.
Standing Construct GASGAS Factory Racing’s Ivo Monticelli enjoyed another positive round of MXGP competition with two point-scoring rides in Spain. The opening moto saw the Italian push through a small bout of arm-pump to earn a 13th, going on to place 12th in race two.
Isak Gifting enjoyed another solid pair of results at the MXGP of Spain. Feeling comfortable on his DIGA Procross Factory Juniors MC 250F on the hardpack, jump-filled circuit, the Swedish racer battled hard in both motos to secure 11-8 results. Teammate Michael Sandner recorded a pair of 19th place finishes, adding further points to his MX2 World Championship tally.
In the EMX125 class, David Braceras earned a spot on the podium with third overall on his MC 125. A pair of third-place finishes were strong results for David at his home GP as he improved his championship position to third with three rounds to go.
Glenn Coldenhoff: “I’m happy with today. I felt really good on my bike all day, which really helped. The level in MXGP is really high so starts are important and in race one I was able to start in third. In turn three though, everyone bunched up and I had to stop to avoid crashing. It was frustrating as I went back to ninth. I found some good lines and I moved up to fifth so, this was ok before race two. My jump in race two wasn’t great, but I stayed out wide, missing all the ruts and chaos and was fifth after a few corners. I passed Seewer when he made a mistake and finished fourth. Not bad. Good points and onto Lommel for three in a row so I know I’ll be better there.”
Ivo Monticelli: “I felt really good on this new track. Qualifying went well again, sixth place so I knew my pace was good. Having another GP with consistent results is really important and having a 13th and a 12th are much better results, much better than where I was just one month ago. This gives me confidence for the rest of the season and I’m positive now, I know I belong up front and the aim is to get into the top 10 each race and finish the season strong.”
Isak Gifting: “I really enjoyed today. The track was nice, big jumps and hardpack so it was a fun race track. I was happy with my speed and I was able to put together two strong races. The only bad thing was that I got caught up in turn three both races, so I lost places in race one and again in race two, which was disappointing. I battled hard and finished 10th overall so all in all, a solid day for me”
Michael Sandner: “A challenging GP for me but more experience so it’s all positive. I’m happy with my riding, in the first moto I had a bad start but was able to pass some people at the beginning and spend a little time in the top 10 so this was great. I then crashed and finished 19th which was a shame. Second race, two mistakes and I was struggling the whole race to find a good rhythm. Another 19th, more points and I look forward to Lommel next weekend.”
The Standing Construct GASGAS Factory Racing and DIGA Procross Factory Juniors will next be in action at round 13 of the FIM Motocross World Championship on October 18, the first of three MXGPs to be held at the Lommel circuit in Belgium.
Download high-res images from round 12 of the 2020 FIM Motocross World Championship, the MXGP of Spain, here.
Results – 2020 FIM Motocross World Championship, Round 12
MXGP – Overall
1. Jorge Prado (KTM) 50; 2. Tim Gajser (Honda) 42; 3. Romain Febvre (Kawasaki) 42; 4. Glenn Coldenhoff (GASGAS) 34… 12. Ivo Monticelli (GASGAS) 17
MXGP - Race 1
1. Jorge Prado (KTM) 17 laps, 34:13:277; 2. Romain Febvre (Kawasaki) 34:20:402; 3. Tim Gajser (Honda) 34:22:790… 5. Glenn Coldenhoff (GASGAS) 34:31:227; 13. Ivo Monticelli (GASGAS) 35:25:591
MXGP - Race 2
1. Jorge Prado (KTM) 17 laps, 34:32:685; 2. Tim Gajser (Honda) 34:37:140; 3. Romain Febvre (Kawasaki) 34:50:090; 4. Glenn Coldenhoff (GASGAS) 34:54:625; 12. Ivo Monticelli (GASGAS) 35:31:417
MX2 – Overall
1. Tom Vialle (KTM) 47; 2. Jago Geerts (Yamaha) 41; 3. Thomas Kjer Olsen (Husqvarna) 36… 10. Isak Gifting (GASGAS) 23; 21. Michael Sandner (GASGAS) 4
MX2 - Race 1
1. Tom Vialle (KTM) 17 laps, 34:50:753; 2. Thomas Kjer Olsen (Husqvarna) 34:52:026; 3. Jed Beaton (Husqvarna) 34:54:583… 11. Isak Gifting (GASGAS) 35:47:103; 19. Michael Sandner (GASGAS) 36:37:056
MX2 - Race 2
1. Jago Geerts (Yamaha) 35:11:576; 2. Tom Vialle (KTM) 35:20:091; 3. Roan Van De Moosdijk (Kawasaki) 35:26:971…8. Isak Gifting (GASGAS) 35:58:580; 19. Michael Sandner (GASGAS) 37:16:733
Championship Standings – After Round 12
1. Tim Gajser (Honda) 441pts; 2. Antonio Cairoli (KTM) 417; 3. Jeremy Seewer (Yamaha) 396… 5. Glenn Coldenhoff (GASGAS) 375; 17. Ivo Monticelli (GASGAS) 122
1. Tom Vialle (KTM) 525pts; 2. Jago Geerts (Yamaha) 473; 3. Jed Beaton (Husqvarna) 379… 18. Isak Gifting (GASGAS) 84; 26. Simon Langenfelder (GASGAS) 59; 29. Jeremy Sydow (GASGAS) 35; 31. Michael Sandner (GASGAS) 26