Standing Construct GASGAS Factory Racing’s Ivo Monticelli has placed 10th overall at the MXGP of Pietramurata, round 17 of the FIM Motocross World Championship. Continuing to claim solid results on home soil, the Italian recorded 14-8 moto finishes on his MC 450F. In the MX2 class, DIGA Procross’ Michael Sandner also delivered consistent rides with a 15-13 result while Isak Gifting battled back from first-lap crashes in both races for a pair of 18th place finishes.
Ivo Monticelli was fired-up for further strong results, looking forward to the MXGP of Pietramurata following his seventh overall at the same venue just three days prior. Despite a great jump from the start in race one, he was frustratingly pinched, together with a number of his rivals, in the tight second corner, losing valuable time. Breaking free and maintaining 16th for much of the moto, Ivo made a couple of passes in the closing stages to claim a 14th place finish.
Race two saw Monticelli lead the way until unfortunately, the red flag came out due to a fallen rider. In the rerun, another strong start from the inside gate saw the Italian latch onto the leading riders and battle inside the top 10 for the whole moto. Making a number of impressive passes around the hard and fast Pietramurata circuit, Ivo went on to finish eighth in the moto and claimed 10th overall.
Another rider looking to continue his form from the previous round was DIGA Procross’ MX2 class racer Michael Sandner. Gaining more confidence as the season progresses, Sandner battled it out in race one on his way to a 15th place finish. Moto two saw more of the same, with the MC 250F mounted rider enjoying more time up front on his way to claiming 13th in the race, and 14th overall.
Michael’s DIGA Procross teammate Isak Gifting saw his run of impressive results derailed at MXGP round 17, despite the youngster battling hard in both races. After qualifying in a personal-best position of fifth, the 19-year-old was in a strong fourth place in moto one before crashing out of contention for a top-10 result. Remounting last and with the tight, hardpack circuit offering few passing opportunities, Gifting battled on to place 18th at the finish.
Looking to rebound in race two, another opening-lap fall saw Gifting crash hard. Re-joining the race well over 30 seconds behind, the super-Swede showed his true character, fighting all the way to the finish to claim another 18th place finish.
Ivo Monticelli: “Today was good but also difficult as the track was really smooth and fast, so making passes was difficult. It was awesome to lead the second race, but it was a shame that it was red flagged. Obviously, rider safety has to be put first, so I understand and I’m glad that Jeremy is ok. I was right on Paulin at the finish in the re-run, so my speed is there. I just need to start up front and go with the top guys.”
Michael Sandner: “I’m really happy as both races for me were mistake-free. I felt confident on my bike, but it was really hard to make passes today. I would try hard to make a pass and then lose momentum and time, which was frustrating. Overall, another solid day – points in both motos and I’m really happy with how this week has gone and I look forward to the last round on Sunday.”
Isak Gifting: “Today is difficult to accept after my recent races. It started off well, with a personal best in qualifying. Fifth place gave me confidence for the races. Unfortunately, I crashed on the first lap in both motos. The second moto crash was really big. Luckily I’m ok and we have one more round to get another good result.”
Both Standing Construct GASGAS Factory Racing and DIGA Procross GASGAS Factory Juniors return to the Pietramurata circuit for the final round of the FIM Motocross World Championship, set to take place on November 8.
Results – 2020 FIM Motocross World Championship, Round 17
MXGP – Overall
1. Tim Gajser (Honda) 47; 2. Jeremy Seewer (Yamaha) 45; 3. Romain Febvre (Kawasaki) 38… 10. Ivo Monticelli (GASGAS) 20
MXGP - Race 1
1. Jeremy Seewer (Yamaha) 20 laps, 34:52:423; 2. Tim Gajser (Honda) 34:56:730; 3. Alessandro Lupino (Yamaha) 35:01:057… 14. Ivo Monticelli (GASGAS) 35:47:729
MXGP - Race 2
1. Tim Gajser (Honda) 20 laps, 34:44:449; 2. Romain Febvre (Kawasaki) 34:47:389; 3. Jeremy Seewer (Yamaha) 35:13:858… 8. Ivo Monticelli (GASGAS) 35:47:351
MX2 – Overall
1. Jago Geerts (Yamaha) 41; 2. Ben Watson (Yamaha) 40; 3. Jed Beaton (Husqvarna) 40… 14. Michael Sander (GASGAS) 19. Isak Gifting (GASGAS) 6
MX2 - Race 1
1. Tom Vialle (KTM) 20 laps, 34:52:254; 2. Jed Beaton (Husqvarna) 34:58:139; 3. Maxime Renaux (Yamaha) 35:01:821… 15. Michael Sandner (GASGAS) 35:47:571; 18. Isak Gifting (GASGAS) 36:07:029
MX2 - Race 2
1. Jago Geerts (Yamaha) 20 laps, 35:10:371; 2. Ben Watson (Yamaha) 35:12:309; 3. Thibault Benistant (Yamaha) 35:15:903… 13. Michael Sandner (GASGAS) 36:37:871; 18. Isak Gifting (GASGAS) 36:52:918
Championship Standings – After Round 17
1. Tim Gajser (Honda) 673pts; 2. Antonio Cairoli (KTM) 584; 3. Jeremy Seewer (Yamaha) 580… 8. Glenn Coldenhoff (GASGAS) 375; 16. Ivo Monticelli (GASGAS) 206
1. Tom Vialle (KTM) 718pts; 2. Jago Geerts (Yamaha) 661; 3. Maxime Renaux (Yamaha) 541… 13. Isak Gifting (GASGAS) 213; 29. Michael Sandner (GASGAS) 60; 30. Simon Langenfelder (GASGAS) 59; 31. Jeremy Sydow (GASGAS) 35